Tuesday, July 08, 2008

4th of July Weekend



4th of July was a blast this year, as always! Our neighbors, Lisa and Derick, had ping pong tournaments and that ended up being a super great time! Ken and I each lost our tournaments :( but that's OK!


Ken and Jaime, of course, wrestled and Jaime was one hurting girl by the end of that. It sounds like they have finally called a truce to their long standing wrestling matches!The boys decided to try out some arm wrestling tournaments-can you say 'sore arms'?We were all having so much fun that the next time I looked at the clock it was 3:30 in the morning! HOLEY CRAP! Off to bed I went, and at 5:30 in the morning, Ken looked at his watch and finally hit the hay. I have NO IDEA what we were thinking staying up that late!!! I will tell you, it became abundantly clear that we couldn't bounce back like we could when we were younger...Ken and I were two very tired puppies the next day!

Then it was the part of the weekend I have been looking forward to for months! Putting all the bunnies together to form a colony instead of having them in seperate cages! I started getting them all spayed over the course of the last few months and waiting until they were all healed. This was the weekend, the bunnies and I were ready.
What a tiring job it was...Ken and I totally gutted the original Bundo, dug out all the old gravel and dirt and put down wire and new gravel. Then I added the hinding boxes and tubes to play in, then I added the bunnies. It was a very very very rough go at first. LOTS of fighting!

So I put them all in the back of the truck and Ken took us for a ride! This is meant to pretty much scare the dickens out of them so they will bond together out of fear. The bond was very temporary and the fighting continued. I woke up hourly to check on them and break up fights throughout the night, and decided that sleeping in there would make it a bit easier, so in came the pillow, blanket and chair and there I slept.
Then came morning, when they are supposed to be dormant, and I was away from the Bundo. That's when the major fight occurred. I now have a bunny down, and two bunnies that are clearly the leaders. The last 36 hours has been stressful, but we seem to be making progress!
The reason for all this hassle is to make life better for the bunnies and us with all our camping trips and get aways. This way, they will get all the exercise they need and want, rather than sit in a cage for 2 straight days until we get home. In the long run it will be well worth the effort!

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Omg the 4th at ur house was so fun!! we owned in ping pong! lol well we didnt win but still! and the fireworks where so pretty! but it scared me when that green one was thrown out and it went right past my head!! :O but i had tons of fun! thanks for letting us come :D

~ T

4:16 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home