Tuesday, April 11, 2006

Gardening while out of shape

What a fun weekend. Friday, Dave and Cindy came over with a big ole artichoke plant to add to our garden. We enjoyed an evening around the fire pit and exchanged stories about our trips to Mexico...Dave shared a story that has the makings of the next non-stop action movie and I learned that Dave was trouble waiting to happen in early days. :)
While we visited I knit up this little baby sock...now, to the friends and family seeing this, don't jump to any conclusions...I just had a little bit of scrap yarn...that's the only reason I knit a tiny sock, not because there is any baby on the way- Sorry to disappoint. :P
On Saturday Ken and I went off to our seperate yards and got to work. Here is Ken building the tomatoe cages...yes it's a lot of cages but we plan to eat ALOT of tomatoes this summer! Little ones, big ones, yellow ones and red ones!!! We have visions of endless salsa dancing in our heads :)
Ken and his green thumb skills went right to planning the layout of this garden and the caged vegatables. While I was out in my front yard swearing and stomping my feet because my seedlings were crumbling in my hands with few survivors making into the ground. After I threw my tantrum for Ken he came out and gave me a lesson on how to 'delicately' plant seedlings.
This may not look like much, but to me it is a great accomplishment of the first seedlings I have ever grown and planted!!! And what's even more fun is I have no idea what I planted so it will be a suprised when they continue to grow and become what ever they are going to become :P
I do have the joy of sharing this photo, which is the first bloom on my first cherry blossom tree in my front year. How absolutely pretty is that :)
On Sunday Ken built a little fence around the garden to keep the doggies and kitty out and raked like crazy to get all the rocks up. I followed behind and picked up those rocks galore. Now the lesson that we learned from all this gardening this weekend...if you garden while out of shape you are using muscle that probably haven't been used in months. Though it may not feel like much effort while you are bending up and down to pick up rocks for three hours, it is actually the same as doing squats for those three hours. What this means is the next day you will be in much pain, and the following day will hurt even more!!!! Poor Ken, every muscle in his body hurt the next day...me, I am still in pain when I sit down or stand up.....We have got to get into better shape!!!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home